Buying new furniture can be an expensive affair. It depends on the type of furniture you are looking for. Another option is choosing used or refurbished furniture. Office furniture movers in Salt Lake City that also offer quality refurbished furniture.
Nevertheless, furniture-hunting can be an adventure in itself. On the one hand, shops offering refurbished items can lead you to valuable finds. You can find vintage and rare items that can add a personal touch to your space.
However, there is some kind of stigma surrounding used or refurbished items. For one, they are often associated with poor quality and unworthy of a second lease in one’s life. Still, it is a good decision to choose refurbished furniture. For one thing, you can save money from buying brand-new furniture.
At the same time, you can get the same material quality as brand-new ones. However, it is important to do your own research and check whether the item is worth the affordable price.
Where to Find Refurbished Furniture
You can find refurbished furniture anywhere. There may be even some within your neighborhood. The key is to hunt for the best deals around. Make sure to check the quality and evaluate your needs and your budget.
- Garage or yard sale. Garage sales are common in high-end neighborhoods. More often, you may find expensive used furniture and other home décor pieces at reasonable prices.
However, make sure to check the items of any major damage, dirt, molds, or bugs before buying and bringing it home.
- Estate sale. Estate sales are usually made upon the homeowner’s death. However, it may not always be the case. Sometimes, such sales are held to eliminate house clutter without hassle on the homeowner’s side.
Expect to find valuable items sold at affordable prices. You can check out online for upcoming estate sales within your area. Meanwhile, some are advertised through the local newspaper or flyers.
- Popular thrift stores. The Salvation Army and Goodwill are popular thrift stores where you can find a lot of quality used furniture. There are times that you may not find what you’re looking for. However, you can always go back to the “new” stock every few weeks.
- Online stores or websites. You can use the power of the internet to find the best second-hand deals around. There are a lot of online stores where you can find “used but not abused” items, including furniture.
However, be careful when dealing with strangers online. If both of you agreed to a deal, make sure to meet in a public area such as near a police station.
What to Look For in Refurbished Furniture
In buying refurbished furniture, it is important to be twice as meticulous with what you will buy. Here are some things you need to check before buying refurbished furniture or any second-hand item:
- Inspect the product of any sign of damage, molds, discoloration, etc.
- Check for labels or tags, so you know the brand and the manufacturer.
- Make sure to test it first. Try sitting on the furniture you’re eyeing on and check its sturdiness and comfort.
- Check whether minor repairs are considerable and practical on your part (e.g., Repainting or re-sanding wood).
- Avoid buying mattresses, smelly furniture, and “used and heavily-abused” furniture.
Buying brand-new is always the ideal choice. But sometimes, you have to be practical in terms of budget. Refurbished or used furniture are also a good option. Just make sure to remember these tips to make the most out of your money.